Saturday, December 15, 2012

27 Charcos

On our way back to Santo Domingo from the Gran Ventana, Eric, Shawn, Grampie, and I stopped at the 27 Charcos (waterfalls.) It was an adrenaline rush.

We started by hiking to the top of the falls. It took us about 30 minutes to reach the top. The hike wasn't too bad, but it was muddy and a bit slippery. (And I am really out of shape since having Iva.)
Hiking across the bridge on our way up.
We made it to the top. A quick pit stop before heading down.
Once we got to the top, we started off with about a 18-20 ft jump. I was terrified and excited all at the same time.
Looking down. The guide dropped a rock and told us to land there.
That blur is me :)
And Shawn's turn! 
Besides being jumps, there were rock slides you had to go down. They were scarier than the jumps because at the bottom of them were whirlpools. We saw a man get sucked in one. About the time his helmet came popping out, the guide jumped in to push him out. I am pretty sure none of this would fly in the US.
Lining Shawn up to send him down the chute.

Over he goes..
And up he pops.
Lining me up... so reliable and safe :)
Over I go...
Almost popping up. This is where I got sucked under.
And up I finally popped!
Grampie getting lined up.
Pretty sure he was drowning Eric.
Our guide took 144 pictures for us. I will spare you the 144, but here are a few (a lot) of my favorites. It was such cool scenery and an insane experience.
Shawn, me, Eric, and Grampie
Grampie, Eric, Shawn, me, and Pero
Floating down the river to the next slide or jump.
The guide made sure Grampie was always safe.
(I think he knew where his tip was coming from.)
The man of the hour. He did an amazing job translating for us.
Floating/ Straddling the walls for a photo op.
This was the where we caught up to the group in front of us.
Another floating photo op.
Scaling the rocks to get to the water.
On our way back down after all the fun.
The guide to the group in front of us.
We are cool dudes.
Me... I think this is where I was deciding to jump or repel down.
I would say everyone has to go to 27 Charcos while in the DR, but I can't say that in full confidence that it is safe or that nothing would happen to you. So my disclaimer is be smart and proceed with caution :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh! That's so crazy. I'll be scuba diving instead I think.

    ReplyDelete

Medical School Graduation Banquet

So proud of this guy! Abby West, Jaimee Anderson, and I. Our husbands were med school buddies. Oh, Amanda Sebreros, she saved me s...